Please note that only users with the HR Manager role have access to the CSV Upload page.
The CSV Upload Process
Appogee HR's CSV upload feature allows for the upload and manipulation of employee data and also Team data via a CSV file. This document describes how to prepare the CSV file for upload and provides tips in ensuring a smooth efficient process in getting your employees set up quickly.
The CSV template
Download the CSV template from the link provided on the CSV Import page in Appogee HR.
Understanding the CSV template
- The top row of headers represent the sub-category and profile fields as configured by your Appogee HR administrator.
- The second row of headers represent the system profile fields.
- The following field headers are always mandatory:
- "First Name"
- "Last Name"
- "Job Title"
Other Field Rules
- Employment Profiles must already exist in Appogee Leave. They will not be created by the import.
- Dates/datetimes should be in the format year-month-day (yyyy-mm-dd)
- If provided Employee status must be one of: Joining, Active, Leaving, Former. It is case insensitive.
- If the Employee status is Joining, the start date must be provided and the start_date value must be a date in the future
- If the Employee status is Active then if the start date is provided, it must be a date in the past.
- If the Employee status is Leaving the start date and end date must both be provided. The start_date should be in the past and end date should be in the future
- If the Employee status is Former the start date and end date must both be provided. Both dates must be in the past.
- If both start date and continuous start date are provided, the continuous start date must be before start date
- If both the start date and end date are provided then start date must be before end date
- If a team is defined in the file with multiple managers/hr managers then they will all be added as editors to the team. Where there are multiple managers the logic to decide which becomes the primary manager depends on a number of factors:
- If the list of managers provided does not include the current manager then the first one in the csv is selected as the primary
- If the list of managers provided does include the current manager AND ONLY ONE other manager then the new manager is selected as the primary
- If the list of managers provided does include the current manager AND MORE THAN ONE other manager then the original manager is retained as the primary
- If a Team points to a Parent Team which eventually points back to the Team, we all this a circular team reference. This will prevent the import from completing.
- Team names must start with a letter and contain only letters, numbers, spaces, hyphens, underscores or an asterix
- Apart from the mandatory fields, if you do not wish to import specific fields, you can delete the columns that are not relevant to the upload (e.g fields that are not changing for any of the employees in the CSV file).
- If your Organisational Structure is already complete and you do not wish to alter it then you can completely exclude the following columns - Manager, HR Manager and Parent Team. If you wish to alter or create your organisational structure using the CSV import then these become mandatory columns. Any root teams - those at the top of the organisational tree - must have a blank Parent Team.
- If you wish to set all the users contained within the CSV to Active, the "Status" column can be excluded. If the column is included then it must be completed with one of the following (case insensitive) statuses: Joining, Active, Leaving, Former, Archived
After collecting the data into the CSV file, please save it as a UTF-8 CSV file. The following are ways you can do this with some common spreadsheet applications (please note that this is not an exhaustive list, please refer to the documentation for the relevant application and version you are using if these do not work for you).
- Open the *.xlsx file from MS Excel
- Click menu > Save As (Other Formats)
- Enter a name for the file and choose "Unicode Text (*.csv)" for "Save as type :"
- Click Save
- Click on File
- Choose Save As
- Save as type: select All Files
- File name: enter a file name & add the .csv extension to it
- Encoding: select UTF-8
- Click on Save
- Go to File --> Download As
- Select Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
- Open your file (if you have an option, open it as a UTF-8 File)
- File -> Save As...
- File Type -> Choose Text CSV
- Character Set -> Choose "Unicode (UTF-8)"
- Field delimiter -> , (comma)
- Click on File
- Hover over Export
- In the submenu that appears, choose CSV
- Click on Advanced Options to show the Text Encoding dropdown
- Select Unicode (UTF-8) from the dropdown menu
- Click Next
- Click Save