In this article:
What is a Leave Profile?
A Leave Profile is a configuration which determines the Leave & Sickness allocation and Leave & Sickness settings for a user or groups of users. It defines the working and non-working hours for employees, whether their Leave is accrued or given annually and whether they are entitled to Carry Over and Leave Allowance.
Creating a new Leave Profile
Go to Leave Admin > Leave Profiles.
Click Create Leave Profile in the top right corner, the Main Details window will open, fill out the details as below.
- Write the name of the Leave Profile
- Optionally, write a comment or note
- The Leave Start Month is determined on a company level, so this drop down is read only (this can be changed in System Config)
- Choose a Pro Rata Formula - this determines how the system should work out an employee’s Leave Allowance during their first year of employment. Hover over the “?” for more details
- Configure the Public Holidays for this Profile by selecting a default from the dropdown or click Configure Public Holidays to edit the default or create your own
- The system can be configured to automatically calculate the number of working hours in a day, based on the Working Rota. If this setting is turned off, the user will be required to enter the number of hours Leave they require when submitting a Leave request. If you uncheck the box, the Working Rota tab will disappear and you can skip to the next step.
- This box is automatically filled in as per the information on the Working Rota tab
Once you’ve filled in the relevant information on the Main Details tab, click on Working Rota (if you’ve unchecked the box in step 6, this tab will no longer be showing and you can skip to the Entitlement Settings tab).
Define the Working Rota for employees in order to calculate how many hours should be considered as a working day. It is important to fill in the Working Rota if you have non-working days, for example weekends. The Working Rota is also useful if you have employees who accrue their Leave, or employees who work part time. It’s also helpful if you allow employees to take half day Leave, as it provides a morning and afternoon session which will sync with their Leave Allowance and calendar.
Allow Override is an option in the top right corner, if you turn this on, users will be able to modify the working hours/days that have been automatically calculated by Appogee Leave. This is useful if a user is creating a Leave Request for part of a day, rather than a morning/afternoon session or a whole day. If this is not selected, users will only be able to take Leave based on their Working Rota hours.
The Quick Fill option allows you to create a Working Rota quickly, clicking this will open the dialog box where you can enter the details as shown below. It might be easier to start with Quick Fill and change the Working Rota accordingly. You’ll need to model the Working Rota as close to your employees real working hours as possible, in order for their Leave Allowance to be shown and calcultated accurately.
Once you’ve filled out the Working Rota, click on Entitlement Settings.
Allowance allocations are set under the Entitlement Settings tab. You can have up to 4 Allowances per Leave Profile: Leave (this is the default), Sickness (note this is not switched on as default) and 2 Custom Allowances (these are based on your current Leave Types, so it’s useful to check these first. For more info, click here).
In the Options tab you can also turn on Length of Service. See here for more information on Length of Service.
For Custom Allowances, see the section below.
You can configure how much Leave Allowance is allocated for each Allowance type within the Default Entitlement Tab.
Important things to note on this page:
- Each Allowance type is set independently
- The hours and days fields work concurrently with each other, so if you update the days, the hours will calculate automatically, based on the Working Rota, and vice versa
- If you switch between Annual, Accrual or Both after users have been given a Leave Profile, their Leave Allowance will not be overridden. Any adjustments should be made manually after changes have been made by either adjusting a user’s allowance or by using the Allowance Calculator Tool
- Max Allowance Exceed is used if you allow employees to take more days than their allocated Leave Allowance. To prevent users from exceeding their this, set this field to 0
- Carry Over - at the end of the Leave Year, the system can automatically carry over unused Leave Allowance into the next Leave Year. To enable this feature, enter a number greater than zero to represent the maximum amount of Leave which is allowed to be carried over. To disable this feature, set the value to 0
- If you allow Carry Over but limit it to be taken within a set period, check the Carry Over Expiry box and select when employees should use their Carry Over allowance by. Any allowance not taken in this time period will be deducted from the employee's total Leave Allowance once the Carry Over period has finished
- Check the Carry Over Debt box if exceeded Leave Allowance can be taken from the following year. For example, if a user exceeds their allowance by 5 days, their Leave Allowance for the following year is reduced by 5 days
- TOIL is Time Off in Lieu, this can be turned on or off for your Leave Profile
Once you're happy with the details of your new Leave Profile, click Save Changes.
Editing Leave Profiles
It’s possible to edit your Leave Profile in the same way you would create one.
Go to Leave Admin > Leave Profiles.
Open the Leave Profile you want to edit, click through the tabs and edit the fields that need to be changed. You’ll notice there are additional tabs now: Employees and Audit. The Employees tab shows a list of employees who are assigned to this Leave Profile as well as their current allowance. The Audit tab shows a list of all changes made to the Leave Profile. You’ll also notice the Allowance Calculator icon in the top right, if you make any changes to the Entitlement Settings, the Allowance Calculator will need to be used as the system will not override allowances. For more information, take a look at the following: Allowance Calculator Tool & Adjusting Employees Allowance.
If you require another allowance apart from Annual Leave, Sickness or TOIL, you can enable them as a Custom 1 or Custom 2 Allowance. The Leave Type you choose for the Custom Allowance must be one configured to be a deducted leave type.
Go to Leave Admin > Leave Profiles.
Click a Leave Profile (or create a new one) > Entitlement Settings > Options.
Click the box to enable Custom 1 Allowance and select an allowance type from the dropdown. You will then be able to configure the Leave Allowances for Custom 1 in the Default Entitlement tab.
You'll now be able to see the Custom Allowance in the employee's Allowance section of their Appogee Leave profile.
All employees will need to be assigned to a Leave Profile, this can be done when the employee is added to the system either by manual upload, G Suite, Office, or Xero integration or by CSV upload. For more information on adding employees, please see here.
It is also possible to change an Employees Leave Profile if their work conditions change or if you have created a new Leave Profile.
Go to Organization > Employees.
Click on the Employee whose Leave Profile you want to change. In the Main Details tab, click the pencil icon next to the Leave Profile and a dialogue box will appear. Select the new Leave Profile and click change Leave Profile.
Remember to use the Allowance Calculator or do a manual adjustment to make sure the employee has the correct Leave Allowance after the change.