This feature can only be accessed by HR Managers and Administrators.
Smaller organizations who have consistent terms of employment for all users may only need a single Leave Profile but as organizations grow by acquiring other organizations or open offices in multiple countries it is common to have multiple Leave Profiles.
A Leave Profile represents the employment conditions for a group of users. It defines the working and non-working hours and allowances. This article contains important information about setting up Leave Profiles.
Leave Profiles can be found under Leave Admin > Leave Profiles
To view an existing Leave Profile, click on its name in the list. To create a new Leave Profile, click on the Create Leave Profile button.
A Leave Profile has 4 sections:
- Main Details
- Working Rota
In this tab you will need to do the following:
- Fill in the Name and Comments/Notes if any.
- You will need to select a Leave Start Month which represents the month when the leave year of this Employment begins. This determines the leave year which always starts on the first day of the Leave Start Month. For example a January Leave Start Month would therefore mean that the Leave Year begins on 1st of January and ends on the 31st of December. Likewise a August Leave Start Month will mean that the Leave Year begins on the 1st of August and ends on the 31st of July.
Pro-rata Formula is the formula you want to use for the allowance calculator which uses the employees start date
- Select a Public Holiday Profile associated with this Leave Profile
- The "Automatically Calculate Working Hours?" option allows Appogee HR to handle the calculation of working hours between 2 dates. These working hours are defined in the Working Rota tab and in the selected Public Holiday Profile.
- If this is turned off, the users in this Leave Profile will be required to enter the number of hours leave they require, when they create a new request. You will not be able to create a Working Rota to specify working hours and as such the system will not know how many working hours there are and rely on the user to specify this.
Hours in Working Day: If you have turned off the "Automatically Calculate Working Hours?" option, you will need to enter how many hours are in a working day. Provide an average if the working days have different hours. Please note that this average is only used to display hours as days on screen and does not affect calculations. If you make modifications to this value, then it will mean that requests made in the past will have values displayed based on the new working hours in day ratio
The Working Rota defines the hours of employment worked by users in this Leave Profile.
You will only see the Working Rota tab if you have enabled the "Automatically Calculate Working Hours?" option in the Main Details tab. You may want to model this as close to your employees real working hours as possible.
There are two important options as highlighted below:
Allow Override - If this is selected, users would be able to modify the working hours/days that Appogee has automatically calculated. This is useful if a user is creating a leave request for just a part of day rather than a morning or afternoon or whole day. If this is not selected, then they can only make half or full day requests.
- Quick Fill - allows you to create a working rota quickly. Clicking this will open the dialog below where you can enter the settings as shown: It might be easier to start with this and change it accordingly.
Allowance allocations are set under the entitlement settings tab. You can have up to 4 allowances: Leave (this is the default), Sickness and 2 Custom allowances based on your existing Leave Types.
You can configure how much allowance is allowed for each of these within the Default Entitlement Tab
The Option tab is where you configure which allowance you require as well as configuring the Length of Service. You can find more information about the Length of Service here
Depending on your organization's policies, you can choose from 3 allowance types:
Annual - where a leave allowance is allocated once per year (at the start of the Leave Start Month)
Accrual - where a leave allowance is accrued over time based on a schedule
Both - where both accrual and annual allowances are used
It is important to note that switching between the above types after users have been given allowances will not cause the allowances to be overwritten. Any adjustments to be made should be made manually by either adjusting a user's allowance or by using the allowance calculator.
An annual allowance refers to allowances that are given to an employee at the beginning of the leave year to use throughout the leave year. For example, every January an organisation's users have an entitlement of 20 days to take as vacation time.
Max Allowance Exceed - Enter the maximum number of hours/days that users with this Leave Profile can exceed their allocated allowance by.
- To prevent users from exceeding their allocated allowance, set this to zero.
- If you allow users to exceed their allocated allowance by any amount, set this to 365.
Max Carry Over - If employees have some leave left over at the end of the year and are allowed to carry over leave from one year to the next, enter the MAXIMUM amount they can carry over here.
Carry Over Debt? - Check this box if exceeded allowance will be carried over into the following year. For example, if a user exceeds their allowance by 5 days, their allocated allowance in the following year will be reduced by 5 days. This feature only applies if Max Allowance Exceed is greater than zero.
- If TOIL can be carried over, check the box for Include TOIL in annual carry over?
Carry Over Expiry - If enabled the carry over allowance from the previous leave year, will expire within the specified time frame from the start of the new leave year. The outstanding carry over balance will be deducted from the employee's leave balance. For example, if an employee's leave start date is January 2017 and they carry over 6 days from their 2016 allowance and the expiry date is 1 month, the employee will have to use those 6 days before February. If the employee does not use all of the 6 days, the outstanding amount will be deducted from their allowance, as it is past the expiry date.
Further information of carry over, can be found here.
If you require another allowance apart from Annual Leave and Sickness, you can enable them as a Custom 1 or Custom 2 allowance.
You will be required to create a Deducted Leave Type for the custom allowance, then within the Options tab click on Enable Custom 1 Allowance or Enable Custom 2 Allowance and select the leave type to be associated with this allowance as shown in the screenshot below:
Similarly to the Leave and Sickness settings, you can then define the allowances/entitlement settings of this specific allowance under 'Default Entitlement'.
You can find a list of Employees who have been assigned to this Leave profiles by going to the Employee Tab within the Leave Profile:
For further information on how to configure length of service on a leave profile. Please see here.
To edit an individual employee allowance, please see here.